Facilities Manager Job Profile and Description
A facilities manager is often seen working for large commercial establishments or buildings. Services of a facilities manager are necessary in big buildings such as shopping malls, hotels, schools and resorts. Big institutions like these need the expertise of a facilities manager to maintain smooth operations of the establishments. The facilities manager occupies a unique and vital position in any institution.
Duties and Responsibilities
Here are some of the key responsibilities of a facilities manager:
- Assess the current condition of electrical, air conditioning, plumbing and other essential facilities and equipment.
- Maintain accurate records of the condition of the equipment and other systems in the building.
- Create a schedule of regular evaluation of the facilities.
- Participate in the development of policies and procedures that affect the use of supplies and facilities.
- Ensure that all the equipment and other facilities are working properly.
- Create monitoring systems or programs in the institution to detect problems as early as possible.
- Initiate interventions to solve problems in the facilities.
- Develop a system for cleaning, repair and maintenance of facilities.
- Develop back-up or alternative systems for common problems such as power shortage.
- Ensure the safety of the building or establishment from fire, flood and other hazards.
- Initiate an active campaign on safety measures in the building.
- Prepare pertinent records and reports for the safety service division of the institution.
- Recruiting facilities service staff and training them appropriately to ensure competent work output.
- Develop staff development programs such as skills enhancement trainings and sessions.
- Maintaining the efficiency and good working conditions of the facilities.
- Evaluate the work quality of his staff and other subordinates.
- Coordinate with other offices and units for things that are not within the scope of the facilities service team.
- Participate in preparing the budget and so that the facilities maintenance team will get the facilities maintenance team will have adequate funds for its operation.
- Educate the workers of the establishment on the proper use and care of its equipment and other facilities.
- Coordinate with the upper management on work issues.