To address the high school drop out rate and improve the number of students graduating from high school, educators, policymakers and community business leaders are supporting the strategy of career academies in high schools. Career academies are not the latest fad; they have been around for at least forty years. Career academy experts know what works and what doesn’t. The Career Academy Toolkit is a book that describes the process of creating and establishing a career academy in great detail.
So what are the pros and cons of these career academies? Pros for career academies are that students have improved high school attendance, additional earned credits, higher grade point averages and graduation rates, and are more career and college ready. Cons include that career academies are more expensive to establish and implement, difficult to schedule, and require partnerships between education and the community. Let’s discuss each of these pros and cons in more detail.
Pros of Career Academies:
1. Improved High School Attendance: Because students elect to be in an academy, they are more apt to attend school. The more students stay in class, the more they are motivated to learn. The more motivated students are, they more they are engaged in learning. The more engaged students are, the more they learn. This, them, becomes a circle: the more they learn, the more they are motivated to learn more.
Motivation is one of the major keys to the success of academies. Academies do several motivation strategies, such as integration of the curriculum between both academic and technical courses. Now students not only learn the knowledge, but they have the opportunity to apply it. We, at Bright Futures Press, call this “Sticky Learning.” Because academies have partnerships between the academy and the community, students can then go into the “real world” to see how their learning truly fits there. This is exciting for students and reinforces the classroom learning.
2. Additional Earned Credits: Based on pro number one, students who stay in school tend to earn more high school credits and the more high school credits students earn; the more they are apt to graduate.
3. Higher Grade Point Averages: This brings us to pro number three. Students need credits to graduate and students who stay in school earn the credits to graduate. Students on the path to graduation have more self esteem and have improved motivation to learn more, which increases their grade point averages. Students who graduate from high school are generally encouraged to attend college or post-secondary learning.
4. More Career and College Ready: Students that feel they are college ready make an effort to attend college or receive post-secondary learning. Students who immediately go to work are more readily to receive company policy and any additional training that the company supplies.
Now let’s discuss the cons of career academies. There are three major cons to career academies. One is that they are more expensive to establish and implement. The second is that they are difficult to schedule, and lastly, they require partnerships between education and the community.
Cons of Career Academies:
1. More expensive to establish and implement: Because academies include a “real world” theme with community partners, this application of the learning process requires more money for student field trips and internships, plus monies to pay for teacher externships. Additional resources does not end there, funding is needed to pay for teacher time to collaborate in the curriculum development and time to collaborate with business partners and post-secondary learning institutions. And, all of this requires more professional development for the educators. True, careers academies are more expensive to operate, but the ROI (Return on Investment) is worth it (i.e. additional revenues from improved student attendance).
2. Difficult to schedule: Due to the curriculum integration, the student field trips and internships, teaching teaming activities, career academies are a nightmare to schedule. However, many career academies have overcome this obstacle and are willing to assist high schools who have decided to establish academies. Additional resources include career academy consultants who are experts in this field and will help schools for a fee. Because these experts save both time and money, they should be considered as a viable option.
3. Partnerships between education and the community: This is the trickiest of the three cons of career academies. Business and education speak different languages and there needs to be someone who can translate what each is saying. These partnerships require both a igniting and nurturing process. Establishing the partnership is more difficult that it seems. Most schools go for the “affair” over the “marriage.” They tend to ask for money (short-range goal) rather that the value the business can bring to the relationship like mentors, real-world site learning, etc., which is the “marriage.” Once the partnership has started, teachers need time to keep the relationship progressing, and time is something that more schools are not willing to pay for. The school that thinks the teacher will stop and visit the business on the way home from school (on the teacher’s own dime) is dooming the education/business relationship to failure.
Career academies work! They require more time and resources in order to be successful, but they are well worth the effort. They are a time-tested strategy that results in more students who graduate on time ready both/or for a career or college.
Source by Sandra Mittelsteadt
Are you looking for a nursing job? Given below are some tips to use this method to look for the jobs that you desire.
Before job aggregators, job boards had got a lot of problems. And one of the problems was that you could end up in a rabbit hole looking for different jobs on different sites. Nowadays, you can get everything in one place.
For instance, you can look for jobs indexed on Monster, HealthECareers, CareerBuilder, and HealthJobsNationwide, just to name a few. These platforms will save you plenty of time over the long haul.
Register on The Job Boards
Nowadays, the major of job boards let you upload resumes. So, we suggest that you sign up on these job boards. The jobs may be duplicated, but your efforts will not be duplicated.
Actually, job boards offer recruitment services through back-end apps. With their recruitment subscriptions, recruiters can look into their databases for potential candidates. Moreover, some apps provide sophisticated tools that assist recruiters in screening potential candidates.
Create a Job Search Email Address
You may get tons of spam emails when you sign up with different career services of job boards. Aside from this, your contact details may get sold again and again. In case of job boards, the moderators of job boards will not even let their customers access your information on the site. So, we suggest that you create a Gmail account in order to prevent unwanted emails from falling into your inbox.
Create a Job Search Telephone Number
Once you have created a Gmail account, you will be able to create a Google Voice account for free of charge. This service allows you to choose a phone number so you can forward the calls to your number. If you are unavailable, the caller will be able to leave their message on our phone. Moreover, Google Voice can transmit your message into text. If you set up your phone number, you will not receive unwanted calls or messages.
While Craigslist is old, many jobs still get posted on this site. As a matter of fact, this site offers cheaper rates compared to other job boards. Moreover, the site gets tons of traffic. This is the reason it has become a great means of job search for job seekers.
Check out the American Hospital Directory
This service contains lots of data and statistics on more than 6000 hospitals across the globe. Actually, they collect information from lots of private and public sources. Moreover, they charge their clients and the clients may include medical device manufacturers and pharmaceutical companies for getting access to their content.
As a matter of fact, their service is ideal for nurseries that are looking for nursing jobs in local hospitals.
So, if you have been looking for a nursing job, we suggest that you check out the job boards given above. They will help you look for your desired jobs in the area.
Source by Shalini Madhav
He is always impeccably dressed with a cheerful smile on his face. He is always on time and excels in every assigned task. He is charming and funny. And you are yet to see him lose his cool. Let's get to know his secrets for mastering the elusive work-life balance. If you also want to follow the footprints, embrace these amazing changes to strike a work-life balance with ease-
Maintaining a perfect work-life balance is not a one day task. It is all about figuring out what you want your priorities to be, not what you think they should be. The best way to find out them is to ask yourself "if you could focus only on one thing in life, what would it be?" The answer will become your top priority. Likewise define all your priorities depending upon their importance.
Monitor your time
Start tracking your time for some days. Find out how much time you spend on things that holds no importance to you? Or do not add up to your priorities? Wipe out all those unproductive activities from your life and focus on what matters to you.
Be fully present
Concentrate on one thing at a time and devote your full attention to the task at hand. If you are doing some work, put your heart and soul in it. When you are with friends and family, do not reach for your phone to check mails or meeting agenda.
Respect "me" time
Being loyal to your work is essential but taking your family for granted can not work in long run. Whether it's a one hour break time or a complete shutdown on weekends, make sure you unplug regularly.
Zoom in on your personal habits and lifestyle
You can never achieve work-life balance if you do not incorporate good sleeping patterns, healthy diet and work-out time into your life. Badminton, reading whatever it is, try to pursue a hobby. You can never imagine how content you would feel after taking it up.
Ask for help
Do not feel inhibited to ask for help. Whether it's your boss, college or family member, everyone needs help at some point of time. Rely on the support network to make sure you are not only the one who is running into the ground to deliver tasks.
Let bygones be bygones
Always remember the quote "To err is human". We all make mistakes. The best way is to start living the present and then gain a beautiful future. Stop ruminating on the past and move on to achieve better things in life.
It is OK to say "No"
You do not have to acquiesce every request that comes your way. Saying no is a skill that will help you live a happy and healthy life . If you have to do something putting your priorities at stake, do not take too much on your plate.
Evaluation is must
Although achieving work-life balance is a never ending process but it is crucial to keep a check on it. Set aside some time once in a month to ensure whether you are living a life you always wished for.
It is a tough and competitive business environment you
live and it is getting more and more difficult to achieve
your goals. You have to stand out among your colleagues
and competitors. You have to work hard for career
advancement, and better compensation.
Whether you are a senior executive, an entrepreneur or
an employee, this book will show you the best way to
succeed, accomplish your personal and career goals,
outshine your competition and differentiate yourself
from the pack. David F. D’Alessandro shows you how to
stand out from the crowd by developing your own
“personal brand”; and provides valuable lessons in
the etiquette of reputation building.
What is Personal Brand?
You need to realize that success does not only come
from hard work and appropriately playing the part.
To be successful in business and in your career, you
must be able to distinguish yourself from the rest of
the pack – you need to develop, build and defend your
Personal branding is a way you manage your career or
business. It is a way of communicating that makes you
different and special. By using these qualities you
can distinguish yourself from your peers so that you
can expand your success.
There are 10 rules you can follow for building a
successful personal brand and keeping it:
Rule 1: Try to Look Beyond Your Own Navel – The biggest
obstacle in building a positive personal brand is your
own ego. In order to develop an attractive personal
brand, you need to have self-respect and you need
to respect the people around you.
Rule 2: Like It or Not, Your Boss is the Coauthor of
Your Brand – You must realize and accept the fact that
early on in your career, your boss will reap most of
the rewards for ideas you give, money that you brought
in, etc. This is how the corporate world operates. Do
not fight the power structure. Instead learn how to
play and live by it.
Rule 3: Put Your Boss on the Couch – Not all bosses
will help you. It is best that you recognize what type
of personality your boss has so that you would realize
what advantages and disadvantages this person can
cause to your brand.
Rule 4: Learn Which One is the Pickle Fork – Good manners
are crucial in developing and enhancing your personal
brand. Manners are about consideration and respect,
knowledge and patience. Practice good business etiquette.
Rule 5: Kenny Rogers is Right – While it is important
for you to seize the opportunity to build your brand,
it is equally crucial to know what battles to take. Know
when to keep on fighting and when to move fold.
Rule 6: It’s Always Show Time – You must realize that
reputations are not usually made by big events –
sometimes it is those big events that smear your brand.
What builds your reputation is your day-to-day
behavior in the business setting, such as how you deal
with people, how you make decisions, your work habits,
Rule 7: Make the Right Enemies – The best personal brands
include courtesy, fairness, tolerance, self-respect and
having good and proper manners. However, a small amount
of ruthlessness is good for your brand. Your reputation
will not suffer much if you fight your enemies,
but it will suffer if you lose your self-respect.
Rule 8: Try Not To Be Swallowed By the Bubble – Once you
are successful in building your brand and is rising in the
ranks, do not lose sight of the forest. Do not be too
full of yourself that you will be swallowed by success.
It is bad for your humanity, and bad for your career.
Rule 9: The Higher You Fly, the More You Will Be Shot
At – Everybody makes mistakes. The higher you are in the
ladder of success, the more likely that your mistakes
will be highlighted. Accept the fact that bad press comes
with prominence in any field.
Rule 10: Everybody Coulda Been a Contender; Make Sure You
Stay One – Set yourself to be distinct from your peers.
Since you are constantly being compared to your peers,
don’t be afraid to offer something unique or distinctive.
Don’t give up easily. Don’t throw in the towel immediately
because of a setback or two. Learn from your mistakes and
turn it into an opportunity. Don’t lie, cheat or
steal. Be cautious of the reputation you are building.
Finding a new job shouldn’t burn you out!
Are you anxious at the thought of leaving your job but know that if you don’t you’ll lose your mind? Do you feel overwhelmed just thinking about interviews and resume updates? Does the thought of “Networking” make you feel so uncomfortable that you’d rather wish upon a shooting star?
For me, all the above was (and still is) true. As A Highly Sensitive Person, you are probably not a fan of the job search. Here are tips you can use today so you can get started on your search and land a job without burn out.
- Get Organized- Don’t try to start anything without a system in place. For me that looks like a Trello board. I create a list for each step of the interview process. Doing this at the onset of your search will save you time and stress. You’ll be able to easily see where each potential job is in your funnel clearly and easily. This will decrease the anxiety that you feel when you’re overwhelmed and can’t easily recall what roles you’ve applied to or who you spoke to.
- Limit Advice- Step away from the search engine! HSP’s can become stuck in the gray area. You know, that place where you think you should make your resume stand out with color font but then again you think you should keep it classic with black font. The problem is not your ability to stand out or be creative, the problem is that you are taking in too much advice. Stick to the basics and do what has worked for you in the past. If you want to make a career change or need more information on how to nail an interview, talk to someone you trust about it and then commit to only reading 3 articles on it. Anymore and you may end up with analysis paralysis.
- Be Prepared- This is straightforward. Take time to have questions ready, do a search on your interviewer and review the company. Set a timer for 20-30 minutes, do your research and then keep it moving. HSPs need time to prepare so they can feel comfortable. Also, don’t forget to have extra copies of your resume and cover letter with you, a notepad with your questions already written and of course a pen! Pick out your clothes the night before and pack a healthy snack.
- Networking 2.0- HSPs network best when they are in environments that feel more intimate. In other words, it will be a better idea if you set up many informational interviews. You want to steer clear of late night networking parties. They will likely tired you out. Here’s an effective strategy that works for me: Ask your closest friends if you can search their LinkedIn network for people who you can be introduced to. They will probably say yes. Then you can set up coffee meetings with your friends’ connections. Do this instead of staying out late and you’ll accomplish the same goal of networking effectively.
- Rest!- I’m an introverted HSP who loves to keep busy. I have to remember to give myself permission to stop. Only you can decide when you are at your breaking point. When you get there, schedule time for yourself. It can be as simple as going to bed 30 minutes earlier or you can go big and splurge on a day at the spa. Do what makes you feel good while honoring your HSP body’s wish to get some down time. You deserve it and need it.
BONUS- Automate your life. This tip saves me every time I’m running low on energy. Imagine coming home after an informational interview and seeing your laundry at your door along with your groceries. What a relief! If you want to make the most out of your job search without burning out then have someone else do your chores. As a city girl, this means my laundry, cleaning, groceries and sometimes meals are handled from an app or with a phone call. If you are not in the city then send an email blast to your friends or ask your partner or roommate for extra help. You can negotiate how often this needs to happen.
Good luck on your search!
Source by Kimberly Fraser
It is a known fact that the success of an employer and a company as a whole depends largely on the quality and reliability of its employees. This is the reason why employers must invest time and even money in the recruitment and interview process. Doing so would ensure that only the best possible candidate will be considered for a particular job.
When it comes to screening of potential employees, no other tool does it better than employment tests. These tests can measure what is called the KSA – knowledge, skills and abilities of the job mandates. Employment tests in this context are generally written or automated tests, but also include interviews, personality tests, skill tests, psychological tests, performance tests, medical examinations, agility tests, and so on.
A hiring process that is poorly designed is much like a recruitment process based on flipping a coin. Employers are well-aware that the impact of inefficient recruitment decisions can have costly and detrimental consequences, which may include expensive training costs, decrease in overall productivity, increase in employee replacement, and increase in legal exposure.
Benefits of Efficient Assessments Incorporating assessment tests ensure that your company is making better hiring decisions. It can determine whether or not an employee can meet your criteria for maintaining high productivity. Consequently, pre-employment tests can reduce expensive and time-consuming recruitment steps by straightforwardly narrowing down the choices that will include only candidates who are best fit for the job. Because job fitting is greatly improved, this scenario can also increase the chances of retaining your employees for far longer periods of time. Furthermore, a well-developed pre-employment testing program can present a professional and positive image for your company, and will decrease the risk of hiring complaints.
Although pre-employment tests are basically a tool that protects employers, it can be just as important for them as for the applicant. It would be a shameful waste of time, effort, and even money to prepare for the responsibilities and challenges of a new job, yet find out later on that one is not capable of performing the tasks on hand and is bound for failure.
The benefits of pre-employment testing are endless. However, employers must know that these tests have certain limitations. For one, written tests must only measure skills that are important for the job description that a candidate is applying for. For this, employers must carefully design their pre-employment testing program. Pre-employment tests not properly designed may create an impression of being discriminatory, and this is something employers should avoid at all times.
Designing testing tools take time and experience. If these two are something your company does not have, you can easily find pre-employment testing software packages on the market. These pre-employment tests have been designed by professionals with expertise and experience in the field of recruitment, and thus can efficiently evaluate the general knowledge, office skills, personality, and so on, of a potential job candidate. There are various types of pre-employment test to choose from, and there will certainly be one that best fits your needs as an employer.
Clearly, organizations that have a carefully well-developed testing program that best meets their exact needs will have competitive advantage. Employment tests allow employers to make the best hiring decisions and will consistently improve business revenue, productivity, and overall business outcomes.
How many of you feel like drowning in your work life, not be able to sleep 7-8 hours and getting frustrated with your day-to-day work that looks like a piece of cake earlier?
What happened now, where you went wrong in your work life balance?
I have been in your shoes but gradually learned few tricks to avoid distractions and strengthen my decision-making skills so I can be more productive and efficient. Remember !!! It is your WILLPOWER. In a simple definition "willpower" is to restrain one's impulse from making decisions. Few people have strong willpower, whereas, another show frail willpower. People with strong willpower assert decision even in contradictory desires and people with weak willpower cave in easily.
Willpower is not just play an instrumental part in achieving our work balance but also play an essential role in other parts of our lives. It is our lifestyle including social media, smart phones and fast food that made us weak-willed so even when it comes to losing 10lbs fat or running a start-up we become weak-bored individuals and does not accumulate or use enough energy to push ourselves for the long journey ahead.
Coming back to the solution, let's learn about 5 Secret Techniques to improve our Work Life Balance
"When there is a health, there is wealth" and all of us should follow this same concept. If you are not healthy, then you can not expect to give healthy work output. So stop treating your body like a trash and start feeding a healthy diet to your brain. I follow 4-hour body diet plan designed by Tim Ferriss. Avoid white carbohydrates (bread, fried food, pasta, etc.). Switch to small meals like chicken breast, green leafy vegetables, or lentils. Also, avoid alcohol, sugar drinks, and aspartame-containing beverages and drink a lot of WATER.
1. Make your body feel active even if you have 9 or 10 hours of sitting job.
2. HOW WILL I DO IT? Make your habit of taking a 1-minute stroll after every hour while in office, start taking stairs or leaving little early for work to walk for 20 minutes instead taking cabs.
3. During weekends engage yourself in any of the sports activity like squash, golf, swimming or may be cycling or Yoga.
Get some good night sleep and meditation
The human body is not made to work 24/7, but most of us tend to stretch its limit by working 18-20 hours a day. Remember, when you did not get 7-8 hours of sleep in a day, then you are destroying your gray cells. Here, the result will be poor performance, frustration and affect your health as well. How to use our WILLPOWER in our day-to-day work routine?
Break your task into achievable chunks
Stop agonizing yourself by setting huge goals in front of you. For instance, if you have a target of converting 400 leads in a month, then divide 400 into four parts, keeping 100 leads target in a weak. Now this will seem a doable task to you that will make the things fun, stimulating and easier.
Create habits for yourself?
Making Habits, what are you talking about? Yes, this will be the early impression I have been expecting but trust me it will help you in so many ways to achieve work life balance as you wished. Like brushing our teeth, taking a bath and making our lunch, etc. are our habits. Similarly, we need to make habits in our day-to-day work schedule, for instance, assessing previous day performance, writing one blog a day, adding one new activity in our weekly or monthly plan.
It is like when you condition your brain on a daily basis then it will automatically become a habit, hence, you will find everything in your life is falling in its place where they should be. If you are ready, then first figure out which part of your life needs more willpower and write them down in your personal diary.
Is it your office work? Is it your relationships? Is it your weight? Remember, you do not need to do everything at once, start with one, and gradually move to another issue.
So go ahead, say BYE-BYE to your work balance conflicts, frustration, and depression by following these basic strategies in your life.
Nowadays, a lot of young people still have a hard time finding out which career path to take. They usually have a problem with this because their interests and skills set do not match. Or the teenager’s parents or whoever will be financially supporting their college education want them to take a course that unfortunately, they do not like or have an interest in.
In such instances, teenagers can benefit greatly by talking with and seeking advice from career counselors. These counselors specialize in helping point clients, especially young ones, in the right direction of finding the appropriate career path for them. They will assess their clients using certain tests and interviews to get an idea of where their talents or interests lie. After getting the results, they will make the suitable career suggestions depending on the answers the client gave during the testing and interviews.
The right career counselor to go to though should not just be competent in giving out tests and handling interviews. He or she should have certain key qualities and traits that should include the following:
A genuine interest in others and with helping them. A good career counselor should have the drive and energy to sit with people through their best and worst. He or she should be fully present when listening to their clients’ stories, however difficult or long they are. Keep in mind that a good career counselor should always have a sustained commitment to facilitating human-to-human connection and positive transformation.
Good listening skills. Effective listening is a key skill any counselor should have. A good career counselor should not only to listen to what is being said, but how it is said, why it is being said, and what it means in the context of a particular client. The ideal career counselor should also be able to listen “between the lines,” for those things that are not being said by the client. This is because what a client omits from a session can speak just as clearly as what is communicated out loud. In addition, a good counselor should know how to listen without passing judgment or evaluation.
Authenticity and accessibility. Lastly, a counselor should not only be accessible to their clients in order to gain their trust, but he or she needs to be genuine and empathetic as well when listening and communicating with the clients. The best career counselor should be adept at developing a genuine empathetic connection with each client so that the counseling process can move forward and the counselor-client relationship can become stronger and more effective.
Read more useful articles regarding career counseling here.
10 Self-Employed Businesses You Can Start Today With Little or No … theselfemployed.com/…/10-self-employed-businesses-you-can-start-toda… Nov 19, 2012 …